Spotify Engineering Culture
The two-part YouTube video I watched was on the Spotify engineering culture. If you are familiar with software development, then the video will make sense to you. It was about how the team at Spotify weave aspects and concepts of Agile, Scrum, and Kanban, to create an engineering culture that works best for them and helps them achieve their goals and meet their deliverables. If software development is not your thing, then you may not understand the video at all, but you can still appreciate their philosophy of ‘Fail Fast – Learn Fast – Improve Fast’.
I think it’s such a great philosophy to adopt in business and in life, especially in you exist or meddle in things that have a rapid rate of change. This includes things that are inherent to you or your business, or things that are external, but yet impact the internal elements, and I suppose force your hand in needing to make a change. For example, if you are a small business just starting out and you are trying to establish a presence on social media. Although you may be internally trying to get your systems in place, pace things and maintain control within the business as you continue to grow and expand, you are still susceptible to and impacted by frequent and rapid change of social media platform features, algorithms, interfaces etc. and you are forced to keep up, learn it, adopt it, and try to utilise it.
Embracing the pace, rather than constantly putting up blocks in front of yourself, in fear of failure, will just have you going round and round in circles, without a net result forward. You have to try things (and sometimes fail) and just keep learning from them.
If you enjoyed this post, here are some other blog posts you may like.
- Quote – “Hold the vision, trust the process.” by Charlie Albright | Moments by Charlie
- Life Lesson In A Photography Quote by Charlie Albright | Moments by Charlie
- Happiness Is A Choice, Choose Happiness by Charlie Albright | Moments by Charlie
- Create Value For Yourself and Live a More Fulfilling Life by Charlie Albright | Moments by Charlie
- Perfect – With Respect To You by Charlie Albright | Moments by Charlie
Spotify’s Engineering Culture – YouTube Video
You know, that thing I’ve been talking about this whole blog post! Here’s the link to it, in case you missed the fact that it was embedded throughout the text. Again, keep in mind that if you’ve never done software development, and the words Agile, Scrum and Kanban, mean absolutely nothing to you, then I don’t think you will like the video, and perhaps it’s best to just stick to the quote.
- Spotify Engineering Culture – Part 1 (Agile, Scrum, and Kanban) | Spotify, YouTube Video
- Spotify Engineering Culture – Part 2 (Agile, Scrum, and Kanban) | Spotify, YouTube Video
- Spotify | Spotify Official Website (Australian Edition)
Some further reading beyond the Moments by Charlie blog.
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (A Toltec Wisdom Book) | Book by Author Don Miguel Ruiz
- 12 Intentional Actions to Choose Happiness Today | Blog Post by Writer and Author Joshua Becker | Becoming Minimalist
- Choosing Happiness: Life and Soul Essentials | Book by Author Stephanie Dowrick